Edgemoor Neighborhood Association

Monthly Meeting

February 2, 2012



The ENA monthly meeting was called to order at approximately 7:02 pm on Thursday, January 5th by ENA President Lylene Johnson.  Lauri Grove recorded the minutes.


The agenda was approved with no additional new business.

Minutes from the January meeting were approved as submitted.


Treasurer's Report: (Diane MacLean)

     Lauri grove reported that Diane wrote her a check for $60 to cover rental for the December meeting at Fairhaven Middle School. A refund for 6 months rental expenses for the Fairhaven Park Pavilion space had been requested and a check should be in the mail.


MNAC: (John Erickson)

     The January MNAC meeting was cancelled due to snow. An introduction to Mayor Linville and her vision for MNAC would now take place at the February meeting. Also on the February agenda is the King Mountain proposal presentation.  The annexation went smoothly and this development has not met with much local opposition. The Fairhaven Neighbors Plan discussion was moved into March.


Guest: (Steve Wilson/Center for Local Self Reliance)

Steve stopped by to update us on restoration projects for the Caretaker’s House located on the property.  Presently, painting the house is on the forefront this summer.  Much thought had been put into various paint schemes to compliment the character and retain some historic ambience of the building.  Steve circulated several different palate options and encouraged opinions. The centennial for the house is in 2014 so that is a nice goal to consider for completion. The Center relies on volunteers and donations to continue work.  Contact Steve Wilson at caretakershouse@gmail.com.


Gateway Pacific: (Lylene Johnson)

The date has been set and preparations started for another forum on the Gateway Pacific project.  ENA will sponsor this event in collaboration with CSN on March 27th – details forthcoming. Lylene stressed that it’s critical to have all the principals (Gateway Pacific, ReSources, BNSF, Whatcom County Planning Dept. and Dept. of Ecology) represented to be effective.  Michael Lilliquest has agreed to moderate the panel in an interview type format.  Questions will be vetted and organized. The goal is to provide clarity regarding factual issues not individual positions.  Check the blog and the newsletter for updates.

Joe Yaver mentioned several hazardous materials being transported through Bellingham - butane, chlorine, methanol, sodium hydroxide to name a few.



We had a good response to our first online survey questioning increased density and the use of Infill Toolkit housing in the Padden Trail proposal.  Most of the responders opposed any increase in density and (although it was close) they were more supportive of toolkit housing.  Since the survey results were in line with the letter drafted by the Coalition of Southside Neighborhoods – we voted in support.

·        A motion was made to give Lylene authority to sign the letter regarding the Padden Trails proposal drafted by the Coalition of South Side Neighborhoods.

Motion passed.


Neighborhood Plan Update:

Last month, Lylene circulated an addition to the neighborhood plan that addressed the railroad. This addition was brought up for approval to finalize the Updated Neighborhood Plan. Next the amended plan will be submitted to the city for the docketing process – best case might have it approved by July 2013.   

·        A motion was made to accept the additional ‘Railroad Clause’ in the updated Neighborhood Plan

Motion passed



Bylaws Committee Report: (Lauri Grove)

     Drafts of the Bylaws were presented to the Board to review, comment, edit and offer advice for the final vote next month. The Bylaws should define the basic requirements to run ENA. A copy of the revised Bylaws can be found on the blog, Edgemoor Conversations – feel free to review and offer suggestions preferably before the meeting in March.



Meeting Schedule – Meetings will continue to be held at 7pm on the 1st Thursday of each month at Fairhaven Middle School. All meetings are open to the community. The Annual Membership Meeting will be held on the 1st Thursday in June. Place TBA. ENA will not meet in July or August. 

Goals for ENA - We discussed our thoughts about ENA and what we might add this year.  A BBQ social was mentioned, a couple guest speakers were suggested (the mayor, the city finance director), more surveys to keep in touch with neighbors, and as always how to get the community more involved.



The meeting was adjourned at 8:30.


The next Edgemoor Neighborhood Meeting will be held on Thursday, March 1st from 7-9pm at the Fairhaven Middle School. Check the blog for the agenda and additional information. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend.



Respectfully Submitted,

Lauri Grove






(Minutes are subject to approval)